Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Sidewalk conversation part 1

Alice had a squishy sensation in her stomach all day long and she couldn't shake it. She'd decided to go to her two o'clock class, but her mind kept drifting back to Dustin. Why did I say yes? I hope he doesn't have any ideas that something is going to go on. Do I want something to go on?

No. Squeezing down on her pencil, she heard a creak from it. The professor droned on for a moment more before dismissing the class. Scooping up her books, she scurried out. Trying to outrun her thoughts.

She was halfway out the door of the building when she heard, "Alice! Wait up!"

Swinging around she almost headbutted Mandy. They both stopped for a moment and laughed. "Hi Mandy. How are you doing?"

"Well better than you. Did you even hear me? I've been yelling at you since you walked out of class?" The other girl grinned. She was always grinning, which Alice never thought was a good look for her, since her teeth were a bit crooked. Boys said that was part of her charm, but they didn't lift their eyes far enough to look at her face.

Alice smiled, "Sorry about that. I just have something on my mind."

"Problems with Ryan?" The other girl started moving toward the outside doors. "Come on, lets go get some coffee?"

They stepped out into the main thouroughfare on campus. Students milled around, heading for their next class. When Alice glanced around, her stomach churned. Why didn't I just say no? Maybe Ryan is right, that I don't have any real direction. "It isn't a problem with Ryan exactely."

Mandy stopped, raising an eyebrow. "Oh really? Wait I know that look, you've found somebody else."

Brushing a hand through her blonde hair, she paused to wrap a strand around a finger. "Maybe. I don't know. It's just so wierd. Everything's been going great with Ryan. We don't have any problems. And I really like him."

"But?"

Tugging on the strand for a moment, she let the hair fall back into place. "I saw this guy in the hallway. And he asked me out to dinner."

No comments: