Monday, December 31, 2007

Sidewalk Conversation part 2

Sorry that it's been such a long time between posts. I wanted to thank Ben for reminding me that people actually do read this stuff. So anyways, lets get on with this.

------

"Let's get something to eat." Mandy motioned to the Student Union building. "And you can tell me all about him."

Alice wasn't sure she wanted to do that. Actually, she was pretty sure she didn't. But still, she found herself following in Mandy's trail. Is this how my entire life's going to be? Am I going to spend everyday just changing my mind, or following other people?

They made their way through the crowd of students that hovering around the cafeteria. "You know, maybe we should just get some coffee."

"Um... actually I want to get some food." See, I can make decisions for myself. But she wasn't entirely convinced. In fact, that sense of wrong that was hovering around her started to get a bit thicker. Forcing her way through the crowds, she made it into the cafeteria line.

"Hey, wait for me." She heard behind her, but she didn't stop. Snatching up a tray from the rack, she started looking through the food. The tin foil wrapped hamburgers and hotdogs, the plastic wrapped salads and the trays of slightly warmed french fries stared back at her. She stopped. Her head swiveled, trying to take it all in.

"What's the matter?" Mandy spoke from near her shoulder.

Heart jackhammering in her chest, she held her hand above each of the sandwiches. Tears hung on the lower part of her eyes. Why am I going to cry? It's just lunch. "I can't decide on what I want."

"I thought you were hungry. Why not just grab a salad?" she nudged Alice. "Or are you too nervous to eat?"

Shit. What do I do now? If I take the salad, then I'm doing what Mandy told me to do. If I take a hamburger then I'm just doing it to spite her and then she's still controlling my actions. Closing her eyes for a moment, she reached out and touched the warm tin foil.

She picked up the hamburger and put it on her tray. "I guess I'm having meat today."

No comments: