Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Luchroom Confessions

The cafeteria itself was crowded with the normal collection of grad students pouring over papers; sorority girls chatting about clothes and boys; and a few slackers crowded around the two TVs in the corner. And at least one guy who typed furiously on his laptop.

But even with all of those people around Alice's head still spun. I really need to get over this. One way or the other. The tray clanked against the table. She couldn't help sighing when she slid into the seat.

"So who is he?" A grin broke across Mandy's face, showing those crooked teeth. Really, she needed to get those fixed.

"Well I met this guy in the hallway. He said his name was Dustin." She managed, while she pulled back the tin foil on the hamburger.

"Ooo... so you just met him and he asked you out? And you said yes?" The other girl leaned across the table. Her salad forgotten between her elbows.

I should have really gotten the salad. This is going to really make my stomach upset. But she kept pulling back the foil anyway. Without looking, she made a pocket so she wouldn't have to touch the greasy bread. "Yeah. I'm not sure what I was thinking. It all happened so fast. I really should have said no."

"No. You should go with your heart."

"I don't think I was thinking with my heart as it was. It's not that things have been bad with Ryan. He's a great guy." She picked up the hamburger, biting down on it. For a moment, it tasted like the best and worst thing in the world.

"It doesn't hurt to think like that either. You're young. There'll be plenty of time to settle down after you get out of school. And it isn't like Ryan's going to get mad just because you had dinner with some guy. Is he?" Mandy stopped to open up her salad. She tore open the salad dressing.

Alice was still having trouble getting her mind to settle down. This time when she took a bite out of the burger it tasted lifeless and limp. Maybe she's right. It's only one date. No. I can't do that. Then she thought about how Dustin's eyes stared straight into her. How her legs had gotten weak and wobbly. The meat had trouble going around the lump in her throat.

"I don't know if it'll matter if I go on one date. Maybe you're right."

"Of course I'm right. Just leave it to Dr. Mandy. I know all the right cures for the heart in distress." The other girl grinned.

"And is that why you haven't found a guy of your own?"

"Well, some of us just have our crosses to bear. Mine is that I can't find a guy who's worthy of appreciating me." She started to pick at her salad.

Alice couldn't help feeling like there was something terribly wrong going on here. But she couldn't put her finger on what it was.

---------

The man in the sunglasses closed his laptop. The target was better than he expected. But he didn't know what was coming. Now all the man had to do was keep unsettling him. Throw the probabilities out of wack, and then he could spring.

Once the girlfriend had cleared out, he took a glance over at the proxy. She'd done well enough. It'd be a shame to waste her. Pausing, he almost didn't notice the flashing on the screen.

Damn, a guide? Here? Fuck.

No comments: